Cook Time: 8 to 12 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus 2 hours to marinate)
- 1-1/2 lb flank steak
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP ground dark-roast coffee
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp maple sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Rub the steak with the olive oil, then sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the coffee, cocoa powder, maple sugar, cumin, coriander, ginger, and cinnamon. Rub the spice mixture on both sides of the flank steak. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, or overnight.
- Adjust the oven racks so that the steak will be about 6 inches from the heat source. Preheat the broiler for 10 minutes.
- Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet (you can line the baking sheet with foil, if desired, to help with cleanup later on). Set the marinated flank steak on top of the rack and broil for 4-6 minutes per side, depending on your taste preference.
- Remove the steak from the broiler and place the meat on a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice against the grain, and serve.