Today on the show, we welcome Chris Kresser. Chris is a globally recognized leader in the fields of ancestral health, Paleo nutrition, and functional and integrative medicine. He is the author of the New York Times best seller, The Paleo Cure and has just released his brand-new book titled, Unconventional Medicine.
More and more people around the world are starting to recognize that the problems we are facing in the current healthcare system are not ones that someone else can fix. Recent statistics suggests that we are going to have a shortage of over 50,000 primary care providers by the year 2025. One in two American’s now have chronic disease, 30% of kids now have a chronic disease, and the average amount of time that a patient gets to speak before they’re interrupted by the doctor is just twelve seconds! These are just some of the alarming statistics released in Chris’s book, which address the current state of conventional medicine in America today. So what can we do about it?
In this episode, we discuss the role of functional medicine and how the move toward this approach is almost inevitable. Chris explains how we can start to implement functional medicine into our lives today and start addressing the root causes of our problems, rather than masking the symptoms. This is an insightful episode for those in a medical field, health activists, and anybody looking for a solution to their personal, long-term health.
CLICK HERE for the full transcript.
Key Points From This Episode:
- What inspired Chris to write Unconventional Medicine.
- Functional medicine versus conventional medicine.
- Addressing the symptom rather than the root cause.
- The three-part framework for addressing chronic disease.
- Why the medical world needs to address behavior change.
- Learn more about the tribe in Bolivia living a Paleo lifestyle.
- Evolutionary biology and its contribution to medicine today.
- The prevalence of chronic disease in children today.
- The role of big pharma and insurance in medicine today.
- Why health insurance does not mean health care.
- Why functional medicine is the inevitable route for the future.
- Is functional medicine more cost effective than conventional?
- Chris explains The Health Care Population Pyramid Medicine.
- How to implement functional medicine into our lives.
- And much more!
“If healthcare expenditures continue at their current pace, the U.S. is expected to be bankrupted by the year 2025.” — @chriskresser [0:06:25.1]
“The average amount of time that the patient gets to speak before they’re interrupted by the doctor is just twelve seconds.” — @chriskresser [0:15:30.1]
“It’s not an information problem, it’s a behavior change problem.” — @chriskresser [0:19:26.1]
|Links Mentioned in This Episode:
Chris Kresser Website – https://chriskresser.com/
Chris Kresser on Twitter – https://twitter.com/chriskresser
Cleveland Clinic – https://my.clevelandclinic.org/
IORA Health – http://www.iorahealth.com/
Kresser Institute – https://kresserinstitute.com/
Unconventional Medicine Book – https://unconventionalmedicinebook.com/
The Paleo Cure Book – https://www.amazon.com/Your-Personal-Paleo-Code-Reverse/dp/031632289X
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
Its easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you’ll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal!
One winner will be randomly chosen each week.
The post PMR #189: Chris Kresser Discusses His New Book, Unconventional Medicine. appeared first on Paleo Magazine.