A recent study on low carb, high fat (LCHF) diets led to a prominent researcher issuing warnings about the Paleo diet, calling it dangerous, and this rippled out in the media. On this episode, we take a look at that study and show why it is so misleading and why some researchers are calling for a retraction. In other news, a new study shows major health benefits from just a little weight loss, and the CDC tells us 83 million American adults don’t get enough sleep. There is also a recap of the Newcastle research, which every diabetic should be aware of.
The Moment of Paleo furthers the theme of small changes, big impact. There are new book and documentary recommendations. The After the Bell segment features Dr. Ian Spreadburry’s excellent talk for the New Zealand Ancestral Health Symposium further strengthening the proposition that whole food delivers good health—if you don’t know the difference between acellular and cellular carbs, you will after this talk, and you’ll be glad you do. Enjoy the show!
Links for this episode:
- This Episode's homepage
- Latest in Paleo on Facebook – News hunters and gatherers post your links here.
- Full List of Recommended Books & Audiobooks
- The Diet Myth: Why the Secret to Weight Loss & Health is Already in Your Gut
- The Diet Myth | SBS On Demand
- The Diet Myth documentary: The real reason we’re fat
- Diabetes expert warns paleo diet is dangerous and increases weight gain | EurekAlert! Science News
- Paleo diets = weight gain | Pursuit by University of Melbourne
- Nutrition & Diabetes – A low-carbohydrate high-fat diet increases weight gain and does not improve glucose tolerance, insulin secretion or [beta]-cell mass in NZO mice
- Celebrity chef Pete Evans mocks study showing Paleo diet could make you fat
- New study says Paleo diet 'unhealthy and fattening' angering ardent devotees – Telegraph
- Diet Research Insanity – aaron blaisdell's blog
- Diet that can help you avoid or even reverse Type 2 diabetes revealed | Daily Mail Online
- Big Health Benefits to Small Weight Loss – The New York Times
- Effects of Moderate and Subsequent Progressive Weight Loss on Metabolic Function and Adipose Tissue Biology in Humans with Obesity: Cell Metabolism
- Even Small Weight Loss Benefits Health | Fort Smith/Fayetteville News | 5newsonline KFSM 5NEWS
- Prevalence of Healthy Sleep Duration among Adults — United States, 2014 | MMWR
- The Americans Who Don’t Get Enough Sleep – WSJ
- A Third of Americans Aren't Getting Enough Sleep – NBC News
- White people sleep the most, CDC study finds | Daily Mail Online
- CDC Still Says Americans Aren't Getting Enough Sleep (VIDEO) | Sci/Health > Health
- Sleep loss gets scary in CDC report – CBS News
- "Acellular Carbohydrates: Are Our Bacteria a Detector of Dietary Refinement?" – Dr Ian Spreadbury – YouTube
Visit PuraKai to shop for eco-friendly clothing and stand-up paddle boards. Be sure to use coupon code “latest in paleo” for 15% off all clothing purchases.